How long do slip and fall settlements take?
Every slip and fall case is different, which means the amount of time taken to settle a slip and fall case is never the same. Slip and fall cases can take anywhere from several months to several years to settle.
Numerous variables influence the settlement time of slip and fall cases. These include:
- Whether or not the liable party is accepting full responsibility
- The severity of your injuries and whether or not you have life-altering ailments
- Whether or not both parties are ready to settle
- How easily liability can be proven or disproven
- Whether or not your case goes to trial
- The competency of your lawyer
Most slip and fall lawsuits settle before the case ever reaches trial. Settlements that happen outside the court are generally reached sooner than cases that go before a court. This is because trials are lengthy and take months of preparation.
A slip and fall case will often not go to trial within one year of the initial claim. Then, even if an agreement is reached in trial, both parties have the legal right to file an appeal, which can relaunch a new legal battle that drags your case on for additional months and years. The best way to ensure an efficient and successful slip and fall settlement is to partner with an experienced slip and fall attorney who can protect your rights and fight for your compensation.