18 Apr 2019
Wake-Up Call: Six Shocking Road Rage Statistics You Didn’t Know
Posted By Darrigo, Diaz & Jimenez
Here are six shocking road rage statistics that will probably surprise you.
- 53% of drivers consider speeding normal
Especially at rush hour, over half of all drivers consider driving 10 mph over the speed limit to be perfectly normal.
- 50% of drivers become aggressors
Half of drivers admit to resorting to horn-honking, light-flashing, rude gestures, shouting, and aggressive driving after another driver has done it to them.
- 80% express road rage
In a study published by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, more than 80 percent of U.S. drivers express significant anger, aggression, or road rage while behind the wheel at least once a year.
- 37% involve firearms
Over one-third of road rage incidents involve at least one firearm.
- 66% of traffic fatalities
Every year, around 30,000 people die in car crashes involving road rage.
- 30 Murders per year
Every year, about 30 murders are linked to road rage.
Tips to avoid road rage
- Don’t rush. Give yourself time to get where you’re going; you’re less likely to become impatient and take unnecessary risks.
- Give other drivers a break. If someone is driving slowly, keep in mind they might be lost.
- Use hand gestures wisely. Keep gestures positive—say, waving to a driver who lets you in when merging.
- Don’t tailgate. Always keep a safe distance from the car in front, no matter how slowly they might be driving.
- Lay off the horn. Honking out of frustration won’t solve any problems; it will just increase the stress level for everyone on the road.
- Don’t stop to confront another driver. Stopping could lead to a dangerous situation for everyone.
Unfortunately, not all road rage car accidents are avoidable. At times, other drivers’ aggression may result in serious car accident injuries. Car accident investigations must begin immediately following an accident and are critical in pursuing successful personal injury claims.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Tampa road rage accident, the personal injury law firm of Darrigo, Diaz & Jimenez has the experience and expertise to protect your and your family’s future.
We have been serving clients throughout the Tampa Bay area since 1999. Led by Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Nadine Diaz, our firm is recognized as a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®. We specialize in auto accidents, slip, and fall injuries, products liability, premises liability, and all other types of personal injury accidents. Call 813-774-3341 today to schedule a free case evaluation with our highly-experienced legal team.