07 Jan 2019
Improper Passing Leading Cause of Two-Lane Road Fatalities
Posted By Darrigo, Diaz & Jimenez
Twice as many highway fatalities occur on two-lane roads, according to the latest statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
The report reveals that 75% of two-vehicle, head-on collisions occur on undivided two-lane roads—and head-on collisions are disproportionately deadly.
One of the leading causes of head-on collisions is failing to pass properly.
Passing Other Vehicles
Follow these rules when you are passing other vehicles:
- Make sure the passing lane is clear of traffic, as you must return to the right side of the road no less than 100 feet before any oncoming vehicle.
- Check behind and to the left of your vehicle to make sure that another vehicle is not attempting to pass you.
- Use your turn signals to alert other drivers of your intention to change lanes.
- Move into the passing lane, accelerate, and continue to move forward until you can see the vehicle you are passing in your rearview mirror.
- Before returning to the lane in which you were originally driving, use the appropriate turn signal.
It is dangerous and illegal to try to pass other vehicles in the following situations:
- A solid yellow line is marked on the driver’s side of the center line of the road.
- A yellow, pennant-shaped “No Passing Zone” is posted on the left-hand side of the road, or a white rectangular “Do Not Pass” sign is posted on the right-hand side of the road.
- When you are driving on or approaching a curve in the road.
- When you are approaching the crest of a hill or grade in the road.
- Within 100 feet of an intersection, railroad crossing, bridge, viaduct, or tunnel
If another vehicle is passing you on the left-hand side of the road, allow the other vehicle to pass safely and do not increase your speed.
How can the Law Firm of Darrigo, Diaz & Jimenez help you?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Tampa improper passing accident, the personal injury law firm of Darrigo, Diaz & Jimenez has the experience and expertise to protect your and your family’s future.
We have been serving clients throughout the Tampa Bay area since 1999. Led by Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Nadine Diaz, our firm is recognized as a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®. We specialize in traumatic brain injuries, auto accidents, slip and fall injuries, products liability, premises liability, and all other types of personal injury accidents.
Call 813-774-3341 today to schedule a free case evaluation with our highly-experienced, highly-praised team.