They are calling it the hottest Christmas gift this year, the hoverboards,
but be careful because they can literally get so hot they can catch fire.
In the last month, there has been several reports across the country about
these products exploding and causing serious injuries to consumers.
An exploding two-wheeler burned a house down in Louisiana a few weeks ago.
In New York, another one caused significant damage to a home when it combusted
just a few days ago. In a Washington mall, a scooterboard caught fire
and shoppers were forced to evacuate. Some major airlines have even banned
the little vehicles altogether.
Why are these hoverboards catching fire? In the New York and Louisiana
incidents, the board was plugged in and recharging, but in the mall incident,
the board was not plugged in. What’s more, there have been reports
of scooters bursting into flames while people were riding them. It looks
like the big problem has to do with the quality of the batteries inside
these products. A formal recall has not been issued yet, but due to the
several reports of injuries associated with this product there is an ongoing
investigation on behalf of the CPSC.
This morning, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Chairman
Elliot F. Kaye released a statement addressing the growing concern about
the safety of hoverboards. “CPSC field investigators are actively
investigating hoverboard-related fires across the country and will open
new cases as they come to our attention. Consumers want and deserve answers
about the safety of hoverboards.” The agency is currently trying
to find the root cause of the fire hazard, how much of a risk it might
present, and to provide consumers with answers as soon as possible.
The CPSC advised consumers that in addition of being aware of the fire
hazard, they should also be concerned about the fall hazard this new product
creates. The CPSC has received dozens of reports of injuries from hospital
ERs. Some of these injuries have been serious, including concussions,
fractures, contusions/abrasions, and internal organ injuries.
If you or someone you know has been injured due to
defective product call our office at 813-877-5548 for a free consultation. We have decades
of experience in the personal injury field handling product liability
cases, slip and fall, car accidents, wrongful death, dog bite, and premises
liability cases. We will be honored to represent you.